- Ohio State at Wisconsin
- Georgia at LSU
- Virginia at Clemson
- Utah at Oregon
- Baylor at Oklahoma
- Cincinnati at Memphis
- Hawaii at Boise State
- Louisiana at Appalachian State
Ohio State at Wisconsin odds
Dec. 7, 2019
[table id=1038 /]
Ohio State Buckeyes Preview
Ohio State has the nation’s top scoring offense (49.9 points per game), a big-play defense (25 takeaways, 49 sacks) and an average margin of victory of 38.1 points. The Buckeyes have shown no weaknesses, although perhaps there a couple of concerns. First, Wisconsin stayed closed for a half earlier this season when the teams met in Columbus, where Ohio State took a 10-7 halftime lead before squeezing the life out of the Badgers in a 38-7 triumph. The second concern might be a bit more serious. Quarterback Justin Fields is dealing with a sprained left MCL and plans on wearing a bulky knee brace while trying t play through some pain on Saturday.
Wisconsin Badgers Preview
Wisconsin Badgers junior running back Jonathan Taylor had done so much in career — 5,932 yards, 49 rushing touchdowns and a slew of records. What he hasn’t done is had success against Ohio State. Taylor went for just 41 yards on 15 carries in the 2017 Big Ten title game and 52 yards on 20 attempts this season, as those account for two of his three least-productive games. Quarterback Jack Coan has been highly efficient this season (72.3 percent completions), but will be looking for something in the big-play department after completing 10 of 17 passes for 108 yards in the first meeting vs. the Buckeyes while taking four sacks from end Chase Young.
- Ohio State is 5-2 ATS at home this season
- Ohio State is 5-0 ATS in their last 5 games when their opponent passed for more than 250 yards last game
- Wisconsin is 0-1 ATS against the Ohio State on the road this season
- Wisconsin is 4-1 ATS in their last 5 games when their opponent recorded more than 350 yards last game
- The Over is 6-1 in the last 7 Wisconsin games when their opponent passed for more than 250 yards last game
Georgia at LSU odds
Dec. 7, 2019
[table id=1039 /]
Georgia Bulldogs Preview
Running back De’Andre Swift left with a shoulder injury in the Bulldogs’ rout of Georgia Tech last week but was back at practice this week. Swift has rushed for 1,205 yards and seven touchdowns and hasn’t missed a game this season. The Bulldogs will be pitting their second-ranked scoring defense (10.4 points per game with only one rushing touchdown allowed) against the nation’s No. 2 scoring offense — the LSU Tigers are averaging 48.2 points. Quarterback Jake Fromm hasn’t completed at least half of his pass attempts in a game since he was 20 of 30 in the win over Florida, completing just 46.8 percent over the past four games.
LSU Tigers Preview
Quarterback Joe Burrow will add an SEC record for touchdown passes, as his next scoring toss will give him 45 after he finished the regular season with a conference record for passing yardage with 4,336 yards. Burrow has completed 78.3 of his passes this season, on pace to set an NCAA record for accuracy. The success of LSU’s offseason overhaul on offense — 390.0 passing yards per game — is arguably the story of the college football season. Ja’Marr Chase is up for the Biletnikoff Award as the nation’s best receiver (70 catches, 1,457 yards, 17 TDs), although the Tigers didn’t completely abandon their big-boy-football roots. Clyde Edwards-Helaire has rushed for 1,234 yards.
- Georgia is 9-3 ATS this season
- Georgia is 7-0 ATS in their last 7 games when they are the underdog
- LSU is 5-1 ATS in their last 6 games when they scored more than 49 points last game
- LSU is 6-0-1 ATS in their last 7 games when their opponent is averaging more than 200 pass yards per game
- The Over is 5-1 in the last 6 LSU games when their opponent has a road winning streak of more than 2 games
Virginia at Clemson odds
Dec. 7, 2019
[table id=1040 /]
Virginia Cavaliers Preview
Dual-threat quarterback Bryce Perkins gives the Cavaliers the best shot at an upset. He ranks 13th nationally in total offense with 3,636 yards, with 2,949 passing and a team-best 687 rushing. In last week’s win over Virginia Tech that gave the Cavaliers the Coastal Division title, he accounted for 475 of the team’s total of 492 yards of offense. But he will be facing a Clemson defense that has surrendered only one touchdown over its last 13 quarters and held South Carolina to just 174 yards last week. The Cavaliers will be playing in their first ACC championship game and will be going for their first outright crown after sharing the 1989 and 1995 titles with Duke and Florida State, respectively.
Clemson Tigers Preview
The Clemson Tigers are going for their 28th consecutive victory and their fifth straight Atlantic Coast Conference title. Most observers have conceded them a fourth consecutive appearance in the College Football Playoff, but coach Dabo Swinney sees the need to corral Virginia quarterback Bryce Perkins to ensure it. The Tigers have allowed only six touchdown passes all season and held foes to just 126.5 yards passing a game, but Perkins has thrown for 245.8 yards per game with 16 touchdown tosses. The Tigers have held opponents to six touchdown passes for the year and allowed only 10.6 points per game. Junior running back Travis Etienne holds ACC career records for touchdowns from scrimmage (57) and rushing (53).
- Clemson is 5-2 ATS at home this season
- Clemson is 5-0 ATS in their last 5 games when they have a home winning streak of more than 6 games
- Virginia is 5-1 ATS in their last 6 games when opponent’s winning percentage is more than .700
- Virginia is 4-1 ATS in their last 5 games when they have played more than 10 games on the season
- The Over is 4-1 in the last 5 Virginia games when Virginia has played more than 10 games on the season
Utah at Oregon odds
Dec. 6, 2019
[table id=1041 /]
Utah Utes Preview
Utah put itself in position to make the College Football Playoff (with a Georgia loss in the SEC title game) by winning eight in a row in dominating fashion, relying on a superb defense and a grind-it-out ground game that mixes big-play passes when defenses start to cheat against the run. Running back Zack Moss is a workhorse who uses his blend of power and wiggle to lead the Pac-12 in rushing (1,246 yards) and rushing touchdowns (15). Some around Utah figure senior quarterback Tyler Huntley should be in the Heisman discussion, as he is completing 75.5 percent of his passes and picking up 11.1 yards per attempt. The Utes are No. 1 in the country in rush defense (56.3 yards per game).
Oregon Ducks Preview
Oregon clinched the Pac-12 South early, although a loss at Arizona State on Nov. 23 took the Ducks out of consideration for the College Football Playoff, which they last reached in 2014. Oregon’s style no longer resembles those old “blur” offenses implemented by Chip Kelly, with Mario Cristobal relying on a balanced approach, the most veteran offensive line in the country and toughness on defense. Oregon and Utah are mostly built the same way these days, with Oregon 10th in the country in rushing defense (106.1), while potential first-round quarterback Justin Herbert is always a threat, with Juwan Johnson emerging late in the season as a potential downfield target (15.2 yards per catch) in a pedestrian pass-catching corps.
- Oregon is 3-4 ATS at home this season
- Oregon is 4-1 ATS in their last 5 games when they passed for less than 250 yards in their last game
- Utah is 5-2 ATS at home this season
- Utah is 8-1 ATS in their last 9 games when Not September
- The Under is 5-1 in the last 6 Utah games when Utah is playing on the road
Baylor at Oklahoma odds
Dec. 7, 2019
[table id=1019 /]
Baylor Bears Preview
The Baylor Bears have the top scoring defense in the Big 12 — giving up 18.4 points per game — but need to play a complete game against one of the top attacks in the country. That didn’t happen in the regular-season meeting, when Baylor coughed up a 25-point lead at home in a 34-31 loss. Of course, the offense bears its share of the blame, too. Quarterback Charlie Brewer has 3,275 yards of total offense but had a modest 194 yards passing and 65 yards rushing against the Sooners the first time around. It would benefit Baylor to get running backs John Lovett and JaMycal Hasty involved. They have a combined 1,220 yards this season, just 47 vs. OU.
Oklahoma Sooners Preview
A loss at Kansas State, followed by close wins over Iowa State, Baylor and TCU, took some luster off the Oklahoma brand, but it’s still a “sexy” team with a full-speed offense (44.3 points per game) and shining star at quarterback. All that can’t hurt the Sooners’ case for the College Football Playoff if they beat the Bears for a second time this season. That quarterback — Jalen Hurts — accounted for 411 total yards and four passing touchdowns in the first meeting against Baylor. The defense might have gotten back on track last week, holding high-powered Oklahoma State to 16 points as the Sooners dropped their yards-allowed to 336.1 per game.
- Baylor is 8-4 ATS this season
- Baylor is 4-1 ATS on the road this season
- Oklahoma is 5-7 ATS this season
- Oklahoma is 0-1 ATS against the Baylor on the road this season
- The Under is 5-0 in the last 5 Oklahoma games when their opponent has a win streak of more than 2 games
Cincinnati at Memphis odds
Dec. 7, 2019
[table id=1042 /]
Cincinnati Bearcats Preview
The Cincinnati Bearcats get a return trip to Memphis for the AAC title game after losing the regular-season finale to the Tigers last week at Memphis. But this time they figure to have starting quarterback Desmond Ridder behind center. He was held out as a precautionary measure last week after shoulder issues limited his production in the previous two games. Coach Luke Fickell said the sophomore (1,836 yards passing, 432 rushing) remains the starter, even though redshirt freshman backup Ben Bryant passed for 229 yards and a touchdown in the 34-24 loss. Running back Michael Warren II rushed for 122 yards in that outing to raise his season total to 1,061
Memphis Tigers Preview
Coach Mike Norvell, whose name has been high in speculation regarding several coaching vacancies, says the Tigers will be prepared to face either Desmond Ridder or Ben Bryant at quarterback for Cincinnati. The Tigers intercepted first-time starter Bryant twice and got to him for five sacks in their 34-24 win last week. Starting corner TJ Carter was injured on the first series of the game, however, and is out for the rest of the season. His replacement, Chris Claybrooks, returned the game’s opening kickoff 94 yards for a touchdown and finished with six tackles and two pass breakups. Quarterback Brady White threw for 233 yards and two touchdowns last week, and running back Kenneth Gainwell rushed for 87 on just 15 carries.
- Cincinnati is 3-3 ATS on the road this season
- Cincinnati is 5-1 ATS in their last 6 games when their opponent averages more than 30 points per game
- Memphis is 0-1 ATS against the Cincinnati this season
- Memphis is 7-1 ATS in their last 8 games when their opponent is averaging less than 225 pass yards per game
- The Over is 5-1 in the last 6 Memphis games when their opponent passed for more than 200 yards last game
Hawaii at Boise State odds
Dec. 7, 2019
[table id=1043 /]
Hawaii Warriors Preview
Hawaii has had a surprisingly good season, ripping off four consecutive victories — the Rainbow Warriors’ longest streak since 2010 — behind one of the most prolific passing attacks in the country. Only Washington State has attempted more passes than Hawaii (552), with a deep group of speedy receivers able to make hay against anyone. Senior Cedric Bryd leads the way (91 catches for 1,049 yards and 10 touchdowns), but also watch for Jared Smart, Jason-Matthew Sharsh and JoJo Ward. Melquise Stovall had eight catches, including two TDs, against Boise State earlier this year but was dismissed from the program about a week later. Quarterback Cole McDonald has passed for 3,401 yards, 29 touchdowns and 13 interceptions.
Boise State Broncos Preview
The Boise State Broncos have been good at taking care of their business, even with third-stringer Jaylon Henderson at quarterback. Coach Bryan Harsin is riding Henderson’s hot hand, even with initial starter Hank Bachmeier (shoulder) and sophomore Chase Cord (hand) available again. Henderson has thrown for eight touchdowns with just one interception in three starts, helping the Broncos average 43 points in that span. Boise State can also rely on its ground game, which churned out 203 yards in a 59-37 home win over Hawaii on Oct. 12. The Broncos are 7-0 vs. the Warriors in Boise, with an average margin of 33.1 points.
- Boise State is 1-0 ATS against the Hawai’i this season
- Boise State is 10-2 ATS in their last 12 games when they recorded less than 450 yards in their last game
- Hawai’i is 7-6 ATS this season
- Hawai’i is 3-2 ATS on the road this season
- The Over is 6-1 in the last 7 Hawai’i games when their opponent has a home winning streak of more than 2 games
Louisiana at Appalachian State odds
Dec. 7, 2019
[table id=1044 /]
Louisiana Ragin’ Cajuns Preview
The Ragin’ Cajuns will be looking for their first win over Appalachian State in seven meetings overall; this will be their fourth matchup in the past two seasons. The Cajuns have won their last six games since losing 17-7 to the Mountaineers in Lafayette in early October and have posted their first 10-win season in program history to earn their second consecutive Sun Belt West Division title. They lost to Appalachian State 30-19 in the 2018 title game. The Cajuns rank eighth nationally in total offense (500.3 yards per game) and No. 12 in scoring (38.8 points per game) behind quarterback Levi Lewis (2,450 passing yards, 20 touchdown passes), running back Elijah Mitchell (1,007 rushing yards), and receiver Ja’Marcus Bradley (760 yards on 48 receptions).
Appalachian State Mountaineers Preview
Behind first-year head coach Eliah Drinkwitz, Appalachian State is 11-1, which is the best 12-game mark in Sun Belt history. Quarterback Zac Thomas has passed for 2,427 yards and 24 touchdowns, with Thomas Henningan (54 receptions, 673 yards) and Malik Williams (51-560) carrying much of the load since the season-ending injury to Corey Sutton (41-601 in nine games). Running backs Darrynton Evans (1,250 rushing yards) and Marcus Williams Jr. (520) give the Mountaineers a strong 1-2 punch on the ground. The Mountaineers (38.9 points per game) are the highest-scoring team in the league by a nose over the Cajuns (38.8).
- Appalachian State is 3-3 ATS at home this season
- Appalachian State is 6-0 ATS in their last 6 games when they ran for less than 200 yards in their last game
- Louisiana is 0-1 ATS against the Appalachian State this season
- Louisiana is 6-1 ATS in their last 7 games when they scored less than 35 points last game
- The Under is 5-0 in the last 5 Louisiana games when their opponent scored more than 35 points in their last game