Buffalo Bulls vs. Charlotte 49ers odds
Dec. 20, 2019
[table id=1187 /]
Buffalo Bulls Preview
The Buffalo Bulls have won five of their past six games, and they have scored at least 43 points in each of their last four victories. This is a run-first attack that averages 254.3 yards per game on the ground, ninth-best in the nation, but wide receiver Antonio Nunn is also a threat when defenses start cheating to stop the run.
Nunn has 44 receptions, with six going for gains of 30-plus yards, and his five touchdown catches are tops on the team. Mostly, though, the Bulls will try to control the game with two 1,000-yard rushers — Jaret Patterson (1,626) and Kevin Marks (1,008), both sophomores.
Charlotte 49ers Preview
It has been a season of firsts for the Charlotte 49ers, who are making their first bowl appearance since joining the FBS in 2015 — and they have an All-American for the first time. Redshirt senior defensive end Alex Highsmith was named an AP third-team All-American, and he is tied for second nationally in sacks (14) and tackles for loss (21.5).
On offense, Charlotte showcases 1,000-yard rusher Benny LeMay, who enters his final game with 3,187 career rushing yards. The 49ers have won five in a row, with quarterback Chris Reynolds throwing for nine touchdowns in the streak while rushing for at least 90 yards in every game of that span.
- Buffalo is 7-4-1 ATS this season
- Buffalo is 2-3-1 ATS on the road this season
- Charlotte is 4-2 ATS at home this season
- Charlotte is 5-1 ATS in their last 6 games when they scored more than 35 points last game
- The Under is 6-2 in the last 8 Charlotte games when their opponent has a home winning streak of more than 2 games
Utah State Aggies vs. Kent State Golden Flashes odds
Dec. 20, 2019
[table id=1189 /]
Utah State Aggies Preview
Junior quarterback Jordan Love is expected to play after being one of three Utah State Aggies’ football players cited for possession of marijuana earlier this week. Love has declared for the NFL Draft — he’s perhaps a second-round prospect — who has thrown for 8,283 yards and 57 touchdowns for the Aggies, who are looking for their eighth win in the first season of coach Gary Andersen’s second stint at Utah State.
Running back Gerold Bright was among those charged with Love; Bright has a team-high 827 rushing yards and eight touchdowns. Kicker Dominik Eberle provides an edge. He has made 19 of 22 field goal attempts, including a 30-yard game-winner against Fresno State.
Kent State Preview
The Kent State Golden Flashes tested themselves early and took some major lumps in losses at Arizona State, Auburn and Wisconsin. But they righted the ship and found a way to win close games down the stretch, winning their past three games by a combined 14 points to become bowl eligible.
Second-year coach Sean Lewis has the program headed in the right direction behind junior quarterback Dustin Crum, who has thrown for 2,336 yards and 18 touchdowns while also leading Kent State in rushing with 560 yards. He has three games this season with more than 100 rushing yards, and he has thrown only four interceptions in 343 career passes.
- Kent State is 5-2 ATS on the road this season
- Kent State is 6-0 ATS in their last 6 games when they are spread underdogs by less than 30. Kent State are +8.0 underdogs
- Utah State is 3-3 ATS at home this season
- Utah State is 7-1 ATS in their last 8 games when their opponent is averaging less than 250 pass yards per game
- The Under is 5-1 in the last 6 Utah State games when Utah State are spread favorites by less than 30. Utah State are -8.0 favorites
Florida International Panthers vs. Arkansas State Red Wolvesodds
Dec. 21, 2019
[table id=1188 /]
FIU Panthers Preview
The Florida International Panthers are playing in their third consecutive bowl game in three years under coach Butch Davis. Despite being only 6-6 this season, they are arriving in style after clinching bowl eligibility late in the season with the program’s first-ever win over Davis’ old team, Miami.
Quarterback James Morgan has thrown for 2,248 yards, with 13 touchdowns and two interceptions, while running backs Anthony Jones and Napoleon Maxwell lead a solid running game with a combined 1,411 yards. FIU is sixth nationally in pass defense (178.5 yards allowed per game), but some of that statistical success might be because the Panthers give up an average of 204.2 rushing yards.
Arkansas State Red Wolves Preview
The Arkansas State Red Wolves were a breeding ground for head coaches at the start of a nine-year streak of bowl games, with Hugh Freeze, Gus Malzahn and Bryan Harsin all moving on to bigger jobs after one-year stints. Blake Anderson has stuck around for six years, turning down overtures from Missouri after this season.
This bowl trip comes with the school’s first AP All-American since 1987 — third-team receiver Omar Bayless, who has 84 catches for 1,473 yards and 16 TDs. This will cap an emotional season for the Red Wolves after Anderson was away from the team for almost three weeks early in the year after the death of his wife, Wendy.
- Arkansas State is 3-3 ATS on the road this season
- Arkansas State is 4-1 ATS in their last 5 games when they are spread favorites by less than 3. Arkansas State are 0.0 favorites
- Florida International is 3-4 ATS at home this season
- Florida International is 1-4 ATS on the road this season
- The Under is 4-1 in the last 5 Florida International games when Florida International passed for more than 200 yards in their last game
Liberty Flames vs. Georgia Southern Eagles odds
Dec. 21, 2019
[table id=1190 /]
Liberty Flames Preview
A soft schedule paved the way for the Liberty Flames to earn a bowl spot in their first year of postseason eligibility. They had two wins over FCS teams (Hampton and Maine) and beat a two-win New Mexico State team twice in a home-and-home scheduling rarity. Senior quarterback Stephen Calvert is the school’s career leader in passing yardage (11,775) and touchdown passes (91).
He passed for a school-record 3,393 yards this season. The Flames turned to their running game in the finale against New Mexico State, rushing for a season-high 317 yards in the 49-28 win with running back Frank Hickson going for a career-high 196. Hickson needs 89 more to reach the 1,000-yard mark.
Georgia Southern Preview
The Georgia Southern Eagles, who are making their second consecutive bowl appearance, showed how dangerous they can be with a win over No. 20 Appalachian State and a three-point loss at Minnesota in mid-September. Quarterback Shai Werts directs a triple-option attack that is averaging 261.5 rushing yards per game, No. 8 in the country.
Werts doesn’t do much in the passing game, averaging about 70 yards, but is third on the team in rushing with 676 yards. Running backs J.D. King, a transfer from Oklahoma State, leads with 776 and Wesley Kennedy III, who was suspended for academic reasons at the start of the season, has 760 in just eight outings.
- Georgia Southern is 2-4 ATS on the road this season
- Georgia Southern is 6-6 ATS this season
- Liberty is 6-5-1 ATS this season
- Liberty is 3-3 ATS on the road this season
- The Over is 5-1 in the last 6 Liberty games when Liberty is averaging more than 130 rush yards per game
Central Michigan Chippewas vs. San Diego State Aztecs odds
Dec. 21, 2019
[table id=1191 /]
Central Michigan Chippewas Preview
The Central Michigan Chippewas, under first-year coach Jim McElwain, engineered the best turnaround from 2018 to 2019 among all FBS programs. The Chips improved from 1-11 to 8-5, winning the Mid-American Conference West division along the way.
Central Michigan averaged almost 32 points per game with a two-man rushing attack of Jonathan Ward and Kobe Lewis, also getting competent quarterback play out of Tennessee transfer Quinten Dormady. On defense, Troy Brown, Sean Adesanya and LaQuan Johnson paced the Chippewas to 100 tackles for loss.
San Diego State Aztecs Preview
The San Diego State Aztecs are in their unprecedented 10th consecutive bowl game — ninth in a row under coach Rocky Long. The Aztecs reached the AP Top 25 in the final month of the regular season and were in contention for the Mountain West Conference’s West division down the stretch. The offense produced just 19.0 points per game, but defensively, the Aztecs rank among the nation’s very best, allowing just 12.8 points per contest.
Defensive back Luq Barcoo finished the regular season tied for second nationally with eight interceptions. The trio of Keshawn Banks, Myles Cheatum and Kyahva Tezino produced 32 combined tackles for loss of the team’s 78 total.
- San Diego State is 7-5 ATS this season
- San Diego State is 3-3 ATS at home this season
- Central Michigan is 3-2-1 ATS on the road this season
- Central Michigan is 6-1 ATS at home this season
- The Over is 5-0 in the last 5 Central Michigan games when Central Michigan are spread underdogs by less than 10. Central Michigan are +6.5 underdogs
Appalachian State Mountaineers vs. UAB Blazers odds
Dec. 21, 2019
[table id=1192 /]
Appalachian State Mountaineers Preview
The Appalachian State Mountaineers lost head coach Eliah Drinkwitz to Missouri after winning the Sun Belt Conference championship game to move to 12-1 on the season, with offensive line coach Shawn Clark elevated to the top job. On the field, the Mountaineers are still led by junior quarterback Zac Thomas, who has a 22-3 record as a starter. His 33 touchdown throws, compared to six interceptions, are part of his success this year.
He’ll be looking for another MVP award; he was the Most Valuable Player in the 2018 New Orleans Bowl, when he threw for three touchdowns and caught a scoring pass against Middle Tennessee. Appalachian State is the first ranked team to play in the 19-year-old New Orleans Bowl.
UAB Blazers Preview
Redshirt freshman quarterback Dylan Hopkins guided the UAB Blazers’ run late in the regular season, but he’ll be looking for a bounce-back performance in the bowl game after throwing for only 42 yards in the Conference USA championship game. Hopkins, who was picked for the Conference USA All-Freshman team, produced a 3-2 record as a starter after teammate Tyler Johnston II was injured.
If healthy, both quarterbacks could play in this game at some point. The Blazers, who have won back-to-back Conference USA West Division titles, are looking to further build program momentum, with 13 of their 16 players who earned all-conference recognition still having eligibility for next season.
- Appalachian State is 5-1 ATS on the road this season
- Appalachian State is 6-1 ATS in their last 7 games when they are spread favorites by less than 20. Appalachian State are -19.5 favorites
- UAB is 5-1 ATS in their last 6 games when their opponent passed for less than 150 yards last game
- UAB is 14-4 ATS in their last 18 games when Not November
- The Under is 5-1 in the last 6 UAB games when UAB has a winning percentage of less than .700 on the season