How COVID-19 is impacting sports across the country.
-The NCAA has elected to give spring-sport athletes an extra year of eligibility after almost all Spring-based NCAA Sports were cancelled. Yesterday, the NCAA Division I Council voted to give the students an extra year of eligibility regardless of what year they are in school. The NCAA did not guarantee financial aid to current seniors that chose to return to school next year. The NCAA decided that Basketball and Hockey would not be included in the decision.
-Yahoo Sports is reporting the NBA is expected to run a player-only NBA 2K20 Tournament on ESPN featuring some of the game’s most prominent players. According to Chris Haynes of Yahoo Sports, the league is expected to launch a 16-player tournament that will last ten days starting on Friday. Kevin Durant, DeMarcus Cousins, and Donavan Mitchell are just a few of the players that are expected to participate in the event. Sources say the league is still finalizing the details of the tournament.
-Over 50 draft prospects are expected to take part in the NFL Draft virtually later next month. The NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero said that the league began extending invites to draft prospects this week. Pelissero also said more than 50 players are expected to be present for the annual selection process via video conference or some other form of social media. Players and their families are also expected to receive a “draft package.” Last week, Commissioner Roger Goodell explained that the league intends to proceed with the NFL Draft from April 23-25 as originally scheduled.
-Earlier Tuesday, the MLB announced it extended the period of financial support for Minor League Baseball Players to May 31st or to the beginning of the minor league season – which ever happens first. The MLB made this decision to ensure that Minor Leaguers and their families received all the support they need while the start of the baseball season is postponed. Previously on March 19th, the MLB announced that it will provide support to minor leaguers through April 8th.
-One of the NHL’s best players is voicing his opinion about how the NHL season should move forward. Yesterday, Victor Hedman, of the Tampa Bay Lightning, said that he hoped there would be some time to play regular season games before beginning the Stanley Cup Playoffs. He said, “it would be tough to jump straight into the playoffs, there’s no question about it, but I think this is uncharted waters for everyone without knowing when it’s going to restart… The focus is to get a few games in before the playoffs start, but at this point, you don’t really know. It’s going to be tough.” Victor Hedman recorded 11 goals and 44 assists for 55 points for the Lightning this season. The Lightning had the second most points in the Eastern Conference (92) before the NHL season was paused back on March 12th.